Saturday Morning Muffins
Being home on a Saturday morning with nothing to do is pure bliss for me. I still wake before 8 usually, but leisurely getting out of bed and slowly easing into the day is such a treat. On the off chance that I have a morning like this, I like to make something special for breakfast. A treat that may take a bit more time in the kitchen, but is so worth it. A couple of weeks ago I had the pleasure of having a weekend at home, and was able to bake these delicious gluten free vegan blueberry muffins. Give them a try the next time you are lucky enough to be able to enjoy your coffee on the sofa, rather than out of a travel mug.
Hearty Blueberry Muffins
- 1 c coconut milk or other alternative milk (I used fresh made cashew milk)
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 c quick oats
- 1/4 c oat flour
- 2 flax eggs [2 tablespoons ground flax + 6 tablespoons of water, mix together]
- 2/3 c coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp coconut oil [melted]
- 2 c gluten free flour mix
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 1 pint of fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375. Line muffin tins with wrappers or use coconut oil and flour to grease pan.
- Mix oats, oat flour, gluten free flour, coconut sugar, and maple syrup in a large bowl.
- Combine flax and water in a small bowl to create flax eggs. Mix together and set aside.
- Combine milk and apple cider vinegar in a medium bowl. Mix together and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Melt coconut oil.
- Add milk mixture, coconut oil, and flax eggs to the bowl of dry ingredients. Mix together using a fork until combined.
- Scoop a small spoonful of batter into each muffin compartment. Add 3-5 blueberries, then cover with more batter until about 2⁄3 full.
- Top with additional blueberries by gently pushing the berries into the batter. Sprinkle muffin tops with cinnamon and coconut sugar. Bake for 22-25 minutes.